Waste from health-care activities
Updated Factsheet Key facts: Of the total amount of waste generated by health-care activities, about 80% is general waste. The remaining 20% is considered hazardous material that may be infectious, toxic or radioactive. Every year an estimated 16 000 million injections are administered worldwide, but not all of the needles and syringes are properly disposed of afterwards. Health-care waste contains potentially harmful microorganisms which can infect hospital patients, health-care workers and the general public.